The Monopolies Commission prepares Biennial Reports ("Hauptgutachten") assessing the current status and the expected developments of company concentration in the Federal Republic of Germany, reviewing the application of the rules and legislation on merger control, and commenting on other topical issues of competition policy.
In addition, the Monopolies Commission publishes Special Reports ("Sondergutachten").
Under the ARC, this is provided for in the following cases:
- in Ministerial Authorisation Proceedings;
- by the Government Special request; and
- at the Monopolies Commission's own discretion.
In addition, the Monopolies Commission has statutory mandates for Special Reports in the field of network industries. It reviews - on a biennial basis - the development of competition in:
- the markets of grid-bound electricity and gas supply;
- the area of railway transport;
- the telecommunications markets; and
- the markets of the postal sector.